You are here: Home -> History
-> Before Lemberg
These "Before Lemberg" PDFs are made available courtesy of the
Polonus Philatelic Society as examples of the high-quality information provided its members.
Dr. Ingert Kuzych, the author, has also graciously granted permission for the use of these articles.
Dr. Kuzych is a prolific writer on the subjects of Austrian, Ukrainian, and Russian postal history.
Kuzych's most recent (mid-2014) book is LEMBERG: Cosmopolitan Crownland Capital of the Austrian Empire, which includes more postal history than the three Before Lemberg articles.
See the 2014 press release PDF
and/or my personal review of the book.
- Handbook of Modern Ukrainian Philately -- A Catalog of Stamps, Stationery, and Cancellations, 1991-2000
(with George Fedyk)
Introductory Handbook of Ukrainian Philately
- Handbook of Carpatho-Ukrainian Philately (with Jay Carrigan)
- Ukrainian Philatelist Index, 1951-1996
- A Comprehensive Catalog of Western Ukrainian Postage Stamps, 1918-1919
Read Before Lemberg,
Part 3 (PDFs
in new windows)
Kuzych's Maps: Dr. Kuzych has also kindly provided the original scans of the two maps in his book and the Before Lemberg PDFs. These scans are much larger than the published ones. The
links open in new browser windows. They are both large files which can
take awhile to load.
These maps were available on the Internet, although Dr. Kuzych
did not provide me with the
source URLs. The fact that he found them on the Internet makes one wonder what other postal maps are also available online.
- His figure 4: The German Post Roads under Maximillian I (1490-1520)
- His figure 5: The route map
of Herba's Postal Guide, 1563. (614 KB)
© 2014 Sam Ginsburg.
Last modified 15 June 2014